Patient’s Question:

Greetings and Salutations Dr. Friedman,

I am writing to ask you a hair loss question about my wife of nearly 25 years. She was standing in front of the bathroom mirror the other day and was showing me a spot above her right temple but close to the center that is beginning to bald or become very thin at the least. I looked over the rest of her hair to see if there was any other hair loss present but there doesn’t seem to be any. It’s only in that one area where she is bald. Since it is out in front where it can easily be seen, it is causing her a lot of stress and she is self-conscious about it even though she tries to hide it. Do you know what this is and what can be done about it? Does she need the hair grafts to fill this in permanently? And, is there some kind of safe product that can sort-of camouflage this area? As a man, I’ve seen some ads for some kind of spray product that looks like hair. I forget what it is called. Is that any good? Is there anything better? Thank you for your help in advance. I know my wife will appreciate any of your wisdom you can share with us.

Dr. Friedman’s Answer:

Your description of a localized spot of baldness sounds like Alopecia Areata which is an autoimmune skin disease whereby the person’s hair follicles are being attacked by their own antibodies.  This is different than Female Pattern Hair Loss which is hormone driven.  My suggestion is a consultation with a Dermatologist and a possible scalp biopsy to confirm the diagnosis of Alopecia Areata.

Thank you for your inquiry. Please call us at 480.500.7443 or send us an EMAIL if you have any further questions.

Dr. Shelly Friedman, DO
Board Certified Hair Restoration Surgeon
Arizona’s Most Trusted Hair Loss Doctor
Named Phoenix Magazine’s Top Doc – Hair Transplant Surgeon





Written on September 27, 2017 | Categories: Female Hair Loss, Women | Tags: ,